Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY)
Maryland Leadership Seminar
May 27-29, 2011
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Too much is never enough

If you had asked me at the beginning of the program year would I have now found myself in the position of actually trying to show some restraint on the growth in HOBY Maryland, I'm not sure what I would have told you.  Likely, that it would be an enviable position to be in, and I would probably love to have such problems.

What can I say except we may have become a victim of our own success?

As of today, Maryland has 207 students registered, six over our goal of 201.  There are actually a few more in the cue that I know about, all of whom could, and eventually likely will register.  I've had to even go as far as tell another site that we could not immediately accept their potential transfer.

The counter-balance to this wonderful news is that I also currently find my team literally running out of beds.  One of the consequences of getting upgraded dorms from the university was that there aren't quite as many spaces available to occupy.  Throw in the larger staff that is necessary for this increased number of participants, and the challenge becomes that much more daunting.

Our staffing is coming together, although I wish I could get some of our folks to turn in their applications faster.  For the first time, we're seeing a much larger group of junior facilitators.  I look at this with pride, knowing these are the larger groups of Team Alumni we used the last few years -- many of whom were TA when I was still Director of Operations -- that have risen through the ranks and stayed with HOBY.  In the future, they will replenish our facilitator ranks as well, even though I've already seen many of my original Team Alumni rise up to that position.

I've also seen my staff pushing to support more perhaps than ever before.  Finding us speakers, tying to raise a few dollars, calling in leads on volunteers and other assistance.  Having people who can contribute in those seemingly little ways makes all the difference.

Financially, dollars are coming in from our cooperating organizations, although, we could always do better there.  It's not that I right now am confident we would come in ahead or behind, rather, I know that every dollar we raise is a dollar that can go into making our program better.   It's hard to ever say you couldn't use another donation.

So, here we find ourselves running head first towards May.  Volunteers, program, facilities, and even donations are all coming together.  It is a whirlwind of activity and in less than 2 months, it will all be put to task.   I cannot wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More