Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY)
Maryland Leadership Seminar
May 27-29, 2011
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD

Friday, September 10, 2010

Why a blog?

I've tried personal blogs before.  I never have found them extremely successful because the personal things I might want to write down were exactly that:  personal.  At the same time, you want people to read and give you feedback.  This is a difficult line to tow between both agendas.  I also have attempted at such times to write because it felt relevant and necessary, but this state of emotion only lasts for so long.  Continuing a blog beyond that often falls out of habit.

Instead, I look at what HOBY represents as an organization and within my own life, and I see this as an opportunity for insight and transparency.  There is nothing that I would necessarily hide, and yet, even long time volunteers with our organization are not necessarily aware of all the details that go into making the HOBY seminar happen each year.  It is time consuming and requires lots of energy.  Some years it feels like a miracle the event happens at all.  I hope to give people insight into the magic and hard work that is the Maryland Leadership Seminar.

Lastly, in a topic I'm sure I'll discuss more in future entries, this year I'm participating on HOBY International's Strategic Planning Committee.  In part, I was asked to this committee to look at technology and social networking.  I figure that I'll be better able to represent and discuss these issues if I'm using the technologies myself.  A blog is one more opportunity to explore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More