Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY)
Maryland Leadership Seminar
May 27-29, 2011
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The First Committee Meeting

Today was the first seminar committee meeting of the year.  I have to say, I was a bit nervous before it ever began.

On the upside, I made sure we got word out early.  The invitation was sent essentially a month in advance. Reminders went out frequently.  And, I knew the alumni base was pumped for the coming year; we had engaged them frequently in the seminar off-season.

However, on the flipside, I got a couple emails and texts this morning of last minute cancellations.  There were one or two on the Facebook page as well.  Not to mention, Facebook, for all its wonders is not the most reliable event tool -- it doesn't send out direct reminders like Evite does.  You can practically guarantee the "maybes" won't show.  And even some of the yes's.   But what can you do?  Not much I suppose.

I prepared my meeting agenda knowing some of the key people I'd like to have there to speak wouldn't be able to make it.  I made my photocopies.  I made sure I had access to the building.  I bought snacks because, well, what's a meeting without snacks?  I don't know if I could have done much more.

All that said, when today had come and gone, we did a lot, got a lot accomplished, and had a pretty good showing.  I briefed the volunteers about the meeting with the Mount.  We rallied the alumni to participate in this year's recruitment challenge (which I'm actually really excited about). We talked about recent alumni events, volunteer opportunities, and the big things we have planned for the year.

We set the stage for an outstanding 2011.

Volunteer events, no matter how you slice them are tough.  Because everyone there is a volunteer, you'll never get the participation you hope for.  You appreciate every person that shows:  you just always wish there were a few more.  All we can do is push forward, show our best face, and keep working.  We take the support we get, and we fill in the gaps for the parts we don't.  It takes a big team to put together a 200 person event.  By the time May comes, and it'll be here before I know it, that team will be together.  I have full confidence it will.  It always does.  We just have to keep up the hard work.

Thanks again to everyone who came.  I was really glad to see your smiling faces and to know that you'll be joining me on this journey to HOBY MLS 2011.

For the minutes of today's meeting, visit:  http://www.facebook.com/notes/hugh-obrian-youth-maryland/2011-maryland-leadership-seminar-committee-meeting-minutes-24-october-2010/487510225249

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More