Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY)
Maryland Leadership Seminar
May 27-29, 2011
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Harder You Work, The Luckier You Get

A former teacher and mentor of mine once told me, "The harder you work, the luckier you get."  I don't know if he came up with it himself, or was quoting someone else, but it's always stuck with me:  probably because I'm used to working hard.

Over the last few years, as I stepped into the LSC job, Carol, my Corporate Board President and my own former LSC when I was an ambassador, keeps telling me how much she has watched me grow as an individual.   It's a wonderful compliment, and I thank her for that.  As I've told others, she and HOBY helped give me something I still am trying to give back, and probably will never be able to repay.   But perhaps more inspiring, is I've continued to be able to see that growth in myself and my own character.

Let alone the work I've put into HOBY the last 14+ years, just the last few weeks I've been intently focused on my upcoming meeting with Mount St. Mary's University President Powell.   I put together documents to describe how we could better partner.  I got an alumnus to contribute her thoughts on both the HOBY program and now being a student at MSM.  And overall, without patting myself on the back too much, I put together an impressive package and set of materials to give to Dr. Powell and his team.  I could honestly say I put in my best effort, and was proud of what I put together.

Today, Carol, my national supervisor, Vicki, and I met with Dr. Powell and his key leaders at the Mount.  I wish I could tell you all the things we discussed.  I hesitate only because I don't want to jump the gun on all the ideas and opportunities that were discussed around the table.  However, suffice it to say I remain enormously excited.  The opportunity before both of us is only beginning to blossom.  We walked into the meeting both very much on the same page, and simply rattling through all the places we could help each other out.  As Vicki said, it really can be a "win-win."

It will likely be a few weeks before I know the details of what the Mount proposes to us, but no matter what they come back with, I will continue to be excited until then.  There is so much potential in this burgeoning relationship that we can only do truly "OUTSTANDING" things together.  And for whatever it's worth, may my old mentor continue be right:  that the harder we work, the luckier we get.

1 comments:

Jacquie said...

Sounds like it went very well! Great job Aaron and way to have the guts to go and do this. It takes so much to just ask for the meeting, and then to follow through and feel that good coming out, wow!

I was particularly drawn to your quote, "...she and HOBY helped give me something I still am trying to give back, and probably will never be able to repay. But perhaps more inspiring, is I've continued to be able to see that growth in myself and my own character."

I'm continually awed by how HOBY and the people involved can do that - give us so much that we can't put it into words but want to be involved. Think about the amazing potential that is, for so many alumni (and non-alumni volunteers like myself), to feel so much for an issue, whether HOBY or something else, that we feel we can never stop doing better than the day before. If we could harness that, record it and attach some kind of seismograph thing, I really think it would be one outstanding presentation.

Kudos to you for developing the awareness of self that many of us struggle to see...leadership development is such a lifelong process and I'm thrilled to be along with you for the ride.

HOBY Hugs from Oregon (with a quick stop in SoDak)! :o)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More