Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY)
Maryland Leadership Seminar
May 27-29, 2011
Mount St. Mary's University
Emmitsburg, MD

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Say Thank You

Something we spend a fair amount of time on at HOBY, and I think in a way that is often new to our ambassadors is thank you notes.  The importance of a well-written, thoughtful, and particularly hand-written thank you note says a lot about how you felt about someone else's actions.  Particularly in this day and age of fast-paced, electronic life, taking the time to hand write a thank you note says, "Your actions meant a lot to me -- I don't know if I can repay you -- but I at least wanted to go out of my way to let you know how much I appreciated it."  At HOBY we try and thank everyone:  sponsors, volunteers, speakers.  It doesn't matter how they helped us -- the fact that they helped at all is worth recognizing.

After I had my meeting with Dr. Powell and Mount St. Mary's I made sure I wrote a hand-written thank you.  It didn't take me long, and it cost me all of a stamp to send.  But if nothing else, it helped me even recognize just how appreciative of their time time I truly was.

Who have you said thank you to?  Who have you perhaps forgotten to say thank you to?  Take a moment, brighten their day, and let them know just how much what they did meant to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More